Sunday, June 19, 2011

Why I Am Not Responding To Comments

Guys and Gals,

I haven't responded to anyone's comments since May 24, when Blogger (the hosting service) developed a system-wide software glitch which prevents some users (including, unfortunately, me) from posting comments to blogs, including our own. Some of you may be experiencing a similar problem when you try to post comments as well -- it sends you to the sign-in screen, then when you sign in it sends you to the visual verification screen, then back to sign-in, then back to verification, forever and ever.

They have been working on a patch, but so far apparently no luck.

I saw a sign once which always tickled my fancy:

Due to circumstances beyond our control,
circumstances are beyond our control.
Please stand by.

I also did a little housekeeping. The Canadian National Steampunk Exhibition web page has closed to I deleted that link. The Pinacle Productions link was broken so I have fixed it. If you have tried that one and been frustrated, please try again.

UPDATE
Thanks to all who posted suggestions. Google has still not fixed the software glitch which keeps some or all Internet Explorer users from posting comments, but using Chrome as the browser seems to fix the problem. 

5 comments:

  1. Seems I can post comments from Chrome. I've never been able to post from IE or Firefox unless the blog settings opened the comments on a new page.

    You might try that setting for a work around temporary fix.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way I have been able to post comments is with Chrome. Anytime I try to use IE to comment, it creates the problem you described. My guess is that it has something to do with the new security settings in IE 9. Of course, it seems more than coincidental that the only browser that consistently has no problems is Google's own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usuall coment through name/URL - it took me a while to realise I had to preview 4 or 5 times until the captcha comes up before I could actually post

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may help, I've had a problem with HTTPS Everywhere blocking Google Services. Comments wouldn't open and Followers were 'invisible.' I unchecked the Google Services box in the preferences, that seemed to do the trick. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm using Google Chrome and that seems to work. Thanks everyone for the advice and patience.

    ReplyDelete